H.H.H. Horse Medicine was patented in 1867 by Daniel Dodge Tomlinson as Horseman’s Hope Horse Medicine. Tomlinson was located in the San Jose / Stockton, California area and was in the patent medicine industry (other advertised medicines include Celebrated Indian Pain Extractor). Manufacturing and distribution of HHH began the following year in 1868, and Tomlinson had his initials and first year of production embossed on the sides of the bottles from that time forward (D.D.T – 1868). The medicine was made of 52% alcohol, camphor oil, wintergreen, cedarwood, camphor soap and ammonia.
By the 1870s sales of the bottle were picking up and distribution extended throughout the West Coast. An 1877 ad placed in the Vancouver, Washington newspaper Vancouver Independent claims the medicine “is gaining a wide spread notoriety. Testimonials from all parts of the coast show it to be a companion in every family. It quickly removes Wind Galls, Spavins, Calions, Lumps, Sweeny, and all blemishes of the horse, while the family finds it indespensible for Sprains, Bruises, Aches, Pains, and wherever a good liniment is required.” As the ad suggests, the medicine was not strictly for horses and was often advertised as an external liniment for man.